Eight Easy Tips
Did you know a burglary occurs nearly every 15 seconds in the US?
Don’t leave your home and belongings vulnerable while you’re on vacation. Follow these simple tips to enjoy peace of mind while you’re away!
- Watch what you say online. As we’re all discovering, online privacy is a thorny area. Why risk it? Don’t broadcast your upcoming vacation anywhere online – such as open social media sites – that could put you at risk.
- Enroll a friend for house-sitting help. This is an excellent strategy if you have pets that you’d prefer not to board in a kennel. Even if your friend (or relative) doesn’t stay overnight, he or she can stop by the house daily to check in. Along with pet care, ask that they do things to give the appearance that nobody has left the house, including taking out your garbage cans on trash days. Be sure to reward your pal accordingly for their assistance!
- Move valuables out of the line of sight. Keep expensive items out of view from windows. And if you have a safe, put your valuables in it before you leave.
- Prevent excessive energy use while you’re gone. Adjust your a/c or heat to avoid high bills and stay energy efficient!
- Put your mail on hold. Yes, it’s one more thing to deal with before you leave, but worth it to protect your identity and financial privacy! Whether you have a house-sitter or not, this is a crucial security step that is especially ideal for long trips.
- Don’t leave a spare key out. Take it out from under the door mat!
- Lights on timers. You have probably heard this one before – and for good reason! A few well- placed light timers will offer the appearance that you’re home and it’s business as usual.
- Be power smart. Disconnect small appliances (like the coffee maker). Also, avoid consequences of potential power surges by disconnecting any electronics that aren’t plugged into a surge protector.
190 Glades Road Suite C
Boca Raton, FL 33432
2719 Hollywood Blvd. Suite A-1126
Hollywood, FL 33020
North Dade Office
Guillermo “Bill” Torres, Agent
7590 NW 186 Street, #210A
Miami, FL 33015