A car accident can happen anytime and it’s important that drivers know what to do immediately following the crash. The steps taken and your behavior will be a key factor should legal action be required or taken against you.
- Never leave the scene. You or others may be injured. Leaving could make you liable for criminal charges.
- Call for medical attention and ascertain if you or anyone else is injured. Even if injuries aren’t visible or seem minor, there may be internal damage that only a doctor can determine. Any injuries must be documented within 2 weeks of the accident for a driver to be eligible for benefits from their auto insurance.
- Call the police. If there are injuries or significant property damage, Florida law requires drivers to call the police. They’ll conduct an investigation and file a report that your insurance company will require.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver if possible. Never apologize or claim any responsibility for the accident to anyone, even the police.
- Obtain contact information from any witnesses if possible, including other drivers and pedestrians.
- Use your phone to take photos of the accident scene from all angles. Document injuries and the extent of the damage to vehicles or property.
- Contact your insurance company to let them know there’s been an accident. Remember not to apologize or claim responsibility for the crash. If you’re going to contact a lawyer, do so as soon as possible.
- Don’t post about the crash on social media or share images. Anything you say can be used to deny your insurance claim.
- Monitor yourself for injuries that may not have been immediately apparent. Sometimes hairline fractures may only become noticeable through bruising after a few days have passed. Document any medical exams and procedures related to the accident and share them with the insurance company.
- Depending on the determination by the insurance company, you may need to hire a lawyer to obtain the benefits you deserve. Engage a lawyer that’s knowledgeable in car accident cases.
For more information about how The Sena Group can help you with any
of your insurance needs, please contact us at 561-391-4661.
We can be found on Social Media at the following links.
The Sena Group
6501 Congress Ave., Ste. 100
Boca Raton, FL 33487